In ECMP 455, I was introduced to a CBC radio podcast called SPARK (you can subscribe to it on itunes for free). It introduces many topics of conversation around technology and how it is changing lives everyday.
Here are some episodes that I have listened to and taken particular interest in:
Paul Taylor talked about Arcalife, a website that combines genealogy and social networking . He said this website came about because of his realization that the truly valuable things we receive from our loved ones that have passed away are not heirlooms but wisdom, beliefs, and lessons learned in life. It is something very interesting to think about. I know I want my grandchildren and great grandchildren to remember me by those things rather then a nice ring or bracelet that I owned. This website is a very cool way of creating those valuable heirlooms you do not want to forget.
This was a very interesting episode for a lot of different reasons!
They talked about new personalized search engines: Measy and Hunch. These search engines essentially take information that you give them based on quizzes and match you with products that you might be interested in. I think this is very neat and will definitely be sharing this with friends and family and using it myself.
Mark offered Franke a $200 donation to a charity of her choice if she would have him for dinner (he was a complete stranger to her at a time). I was so surprised that she actually said yes! She says she did her research though and found that it would be a great experience to not only help a charity but get to know a new person. That is a big risk she took and I admire her for doing that. I do not know if I could do it myself.
On this episode, they also mentioned a variety of neat internet tools that can help you travel from one computer to another and easily transfer any of your documents/photos/videos/music from your computer to anyother computer without carrying so much as a usb stick with you! Check out these sites:
– save your files in dropbox folders so you can access them on any computer through the web.
– I am not sure if there is a limit on how much you can actually put in these folders.
– You will need to download dropbox to use it.
“Wake-on-LAN is an Ethernet computer networking standard that allows a computer to be turned on or woken up by a network message.”
– another way to access media on any computer (especially good for music)
-bookmarking tool that can be used across all browsers (this feature makes this bookmarking tool different than others)
– with LogMeIn, you can access the desktop of your computer from another computer and actually access the information on that desktop. If you get the free version, you will not be able to access as much information as you would if you get the purchased versions.
– the only downfall to this tool is that the computer you are trying to access must be on, so it can hike up the power bill and harm the environment!
Spark is definitely worth checking out. I listen to it as much as I can now that I am aware of it because I am learning so much!